TMJ is an acronym used for the temporomandibular joint. TMD is an acronym referring to TMJ disorder. Most people might not know just how much of an issue TMD can be or become.
In the not so distant past, doctors weren’t able to immediately identify the source of migraine headaches, neck pain, jaw pain, and other cranial pains and limitations. Advances in dental technology have brought to light the role the TMJ plays in developing these symptoms.
WHY IS THE TMJ IMPORTANT?
Did you know that about HALF of all the nerves in your body are housed in the TMJ and surrounding area of your head? It’s no surprise that an injury, imbalance, or genetics in the TMJ can cause such debilitating symptoms, then. With this high concentration of nerves comes a complex system (including joints, ligaments, muscles, and other tissues) that needs to be understood thoroughly in order to be treated effectively.
SYMPTOMS OF TMD
Dr. Brady Camp and our staff at Magnolia Park Dental have invested the resources, time and energy to understand TMJ and TMD and stand ready to help those suffering from TMJ/TMD issues. Below is a list of the more common TMJ/TMD symptoms:
- Clicking or popping of the jaw joints.
- Accelerated bone loss in periodontal disease.
- Sensitive teeth due to overloaded forces.
- Clenching and grinding teeth, also known as bruxism.
- Ear pain that isn’t caused by infection.
- Broken teeth or dental work.
- Tinnitus, or ringing of the ears.
- Headaches, whether chronic or irregular.
- Limited range of head and neck motion.
- Frequent migraines.
- Uneven tooth wear and cracking.
- Muscle tension and pain in the face and neck.
- Reduced range in how wide your mouth can open.
GIVE US A CALL TODAY!
Just imagine being free from headaches and migraines once and for all! Dr. Brady Camp can help our patients make a pain free life become a reality. The first step starts with you. Call us today to at (972) 573-4600 schedule a visit and find out if TMJ issues are what have been holding you back and how we can help.